Sunday, October 27, 2013

Trout Fishing the Stono River Tidal Flats

Saturday night Marian asked if we could go paddling on Sunday after church. I replied with why not and I said that I thought the area that Henry and I fished on Saturday afternoon would be a great stop. This time we would fish the Stono River Tidal Flats in the search of redfish, flounder and trout. OK; so we normally fish for what is biting.

Since this was going to be a fishing trip while the sun would be setting; I decided to only take a few rods and not even take the YakAttack Black Pak on the Jackson Big Tuna. I planned on taking by redfish rig to throw out for a bull red using frozen finger mullet, a rod with a popping cork and the vudu shrimp, and another rod with a DOA Shad setup in a weedless style. Marian planned to use a single rod with the same set up as the one that I planned on using with a popping cork and some New Yorker magazines to read when she got bored with the fishing part. While reading she could recline the Jackson Elite Seat in the Cuda and enjoy the magazines.
The conditions were not as nice when compared with the day before. The river was a little choppy do to the 11 mph winds blowing up along the river. Nothing too really to be concerned with. The tide was going out as well. We paddled across the river from the launch site and to the left. I had Marian stake out just above an oyster bed and gave her some verbal instruction on how to use a popping cork.
If you have never used a popping cork the technique is really simple. Just cast the cork and lure out. Let it settle down and then jerk the rod to make the cork pop to lift the lure up in the water. Let the lure naturally fall and upright the cork. Wait for a few seconds and start the process over. The cork creates a popping sound to simulate the sound of either shrimp or bait fish hitting the surface. As the fish hears the activity they will come in to investigate and hopefully will take the falling lure and then the cork will disappear under the water. When this happens set the hook and hold on for the battle.
I moved up from her to the next point about 100 feet and anchored. I started casting the popping cork next to the grass line. I did this for several casts with no luck. I decided to cast out to some deeper water and on the first cast the cork slowly went under water. Just like on Saturday afternoon. So I immediately started the walleye method of fishing with a float. My first fish into the kayak was a dink speckled trout. So I continued to cast into the deeper water and keep getting action with the popping cork and the vudu shrimp. Every fish that was landed in the Big Tuna after the speckled trout were weakfish, I must have caught about 4 or 5 weakfish and missed some good hits as well.
My biggest weakfish measured 12”. After a while the action seemed like it stopped so Marian and I paddled across the Stono River to fish the bank on the way to the boat launch. Marian told me that she had some bites but could not get the hang of setting the hook. So we worked on her technique on using the popping cork and my method of setting the hook like I was walleye fishing. But at this time we were not getting anything on the far side. The day concluded with a beautiful sunset and a great time on the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment